The Bioresource Processing Alliance (BPA) is a portal to the combined world-class science capabilities and technical facilities of four of New Zealand’s national research providers – AgResearch, Callaghan Innovation, Plant & Food Research and Scion.
We aim to expand New Zealand’s export market opportunities through the creation of high value products from low value biological resources. These resources are often secondary by-products from primary industries.
Our industry partners get the opportunity to work with some of New Zealand’s top scientists, engineers and economic specialists to harness the hidden value in the biological raw materials they process. We can also provide funding support for appropriate projects that utilise the expertise of our research partners.
Integrating research and technology across the primary sector
We integrate the research expertise and processing technologies within the separate primary sectors to assess the commercial feasibility of new, environmentally-friendly processes or products.
We help our industry partners to:
- access raw materials from across the primary sector
- develop new high-value products from raw biological materials
- draw on a systematic decision-making framework to identify opportunities across multiple sectors and technology platforms
- establish robust economic analysis and development plans
- tap into pilot scale plants to assess the commercial feasibility of a new process or product.
Our goal for New Zealand
Our goal is to devise ways to increase the volume of high value materials derived from secondary bioprocessing streams through smart science and technology.
By reducing processing costs, and utilising greater volumes of primary resources to generate a wider range of products, we can help our industry partners make a greater contribution to New Zealand’s economy.